Monday, October 5, 2009

Elder Holland and the Book of Mormon

I think for me the highlight of this weekend's General Conference was Elder Holland's no-holds-barred declaration of the divine origin and message of the Book of Mormon. I won't review his talk here (you can go to lds.org or wait for the Ensign) but I was really struck by his fervent testimony. The Book of Mormon has endured scrutiny from every angle, analyzed and re-analyzed. Its origin has been examined and explained from every point of view. Cureloms and DNA have been called into question, as well as horses and the steel sword of Laban. After almost 200 years it is still here and people are still sniping around the edges, ignoring its central message: that Jesus is the Christ. If your focus is established on that, then the rest falls into place or fades into insignificance.

The above picture is the Book of Mormon that Elder Holland held and referred to in his talk. It is an 1841 edition.

No comments: