The new Stake Center* and Family History Center were dedicated today in a special meeting held at 6 pm after all the days regular ward meetings were over. I scanned the program and put it here for those that might be interested.
*Sidetrail - Technically, the building is a meetinghouse since the stake office is located next door in the restored 1924 building, but most are still calling it a stake center.
The original 1924 building came complete with a clock on the steeple and a $34,000 price tag. The clock faces made their way to the 1959 stake center addition and from there to our new building!
The program also featured a view of the previous building and the old ward hall that occupied the southwest corner of the block. I can vaguely remember that building.
Here's the program for the dedicatory service.
6 comments:
Thanks for all the posts about the new chapel. So if the new building is technically a meeting house and not a stake center, is the restored building technically the stake center? If not, then does the Kanab stake have a stake center (technically speaking)? Idle questions that mean nothing in the scheme of things.
Apparently the stake center resides not in the body of the main building, rather in the head thereof, that being the bottom floor of the Family HIstory Center. Confusing, I know. It may help to compare our thinking to the thinking of the location of the soul. Does it really reside co-existant with our bodies or does it camp out near the seat of higher thinking, the brain? Who really knows, but it all works! Now, not only does the meeting house not have stake offices, it will also lack a full stake attendance and conference is now to be beamed to the valley. THis is a terribly modern and forward looking development for such a traditional bound church. We might actually expand our horizons (and saved on gas)!
When they split our stake in Santa Clara, our stake was left without a stake center. The meeting house in the valley had stake offices remodled into the existing space though I don't know where the stake high council meets (I'll have to ask). We have no font, and use the other stake center on the heights for that. For conferences though, this stake presidency is going between three buildings. The next stake conference will be held at Gunlock, and beamed to the other 2 buildings. (FYI our stake presidency members are all dentists. Frei, Wagner, and Ence.)
Speaking of the soul. Did you know that the Jehovah Witnesses believe the soul dies with the body at death, and we sleep until the resurrection? - they came by last week so I skimmed one of their pamphlets. (Are the terms soul and spirit interchangable?)
Spirit + Body = Soul. See D&C 88:15. Also Genesis 2:7.
By the way, whenever you can get that .22 stock out here I'll put the barrel and action back on it. I got the new bolt handle fitted and it's ready to go.
Thanks for the post. I "think" I remember the old meeting hall. I remember a ward party there. That or I have made the whole thing up years ago.
Post a Comment