Danny left for Mexico a little over two weeks ago as I wrote previously. We got a brief email late that after noon letting us know he made it and he was a little overwhelmed (an understandable understatement!). We excitedly waited for Saturday so we could find out a little more. Somehow we had the idea that his P-day would be Saturday. Well, Saturday came and went and no word. OK, maybe his P-day is Monday. But we didn't hear anything on Monday. No news is good news, right? Tuesday morning I emailed the Mexico City MTC (found the email address on lds.org) and within an hour the president of the MTC, Carlos Pratt, had emailed me back letting me know that Elder Schmutz's P-day was Wednesday and that his mother (Danny's, not President Pratt's) could quit checking her gmail account until Wednesday morning!
Sure enough, Sarah called us at 7:30 in the morning and told us that Danny had emailed us and to be online at 10 am. Well, we were and he was, and it was great to hear how he is doing. He is excited, struggling with the language, and is doing well.
As an aside (or sidetrail, as I usually refer to them on this blog) how great is it that we can communicate with them in almost real time through the computer, iPad or iPhone. Instead of having to wait weeks (in some cases) for letters and pictures we have them almost immediately on a weekly basis. It makes me feel like I served in the Dark Ages! Even on Jared's and Andy's mission it was a letter-writing time. Of course, in the early days of the church months could elapse while a letter made its way to its intended recipient.

5 comments:
Check the church video on the Mexico MTC.
At 1:36 is that Danny in the lunch room? Kinda looks like him.
I see what you mean. I don't think so, tho. I'll have to mention it to him next Wednesday.
Interesting... while I was in Mexico our P-day was also on Wednesday.
I meant to ask, has he seen the "B" on the hillside close to the school? (I mean MTC)? It always reminded me that a little bit of Utah tradition lived on in Mexico City.
Nice picture of you missionary. I check my email as soon as I am up on Monday knowing he really won't have sent anything for several more hours. I just can't help it though.
Post a Comment