A month or so ago Peggy left for North Carolina for a well-deserved break after a busy summer. I took off a couple of days to take a road trip to Farmington to see Jared and his family. Rather than head back to Kanab and then to Farmington I decided to go around via Kingman and Flagstaff. Usually when we travel we just like to get from Point A to Point B because of time constraints or wanting to maximize our time at Point B. This time I decided to go thru Points C, D, E, etc.
See ya, Peg!
It was a hazy, hot, humid day as I dropped down into Laughlin/Bullhead City.
Davis Dam. The temperature on the car thermometer registered 108!
The climb out of Bullhead City went from 540 feet above sea level to 3330 feet at Kingman.
Although I was tempted, I didn't follow Route 66 to Flagstaff, instead using I-40. Save that for another day!
Then it was on and up to Flagstaff at 6900 feet and markedly cooler temps.
Descending east from Flag the blue skies left and the and wind and rain moved in.
Made a quick, soggy stop in Windslow, AZ, where I was "a standin' on a corner in
Winslow, Arizona, a such a fine sight to see
It's a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford,
slowin' down to take a look at me."
If you've heard the Eagles sing Take it Easy, you'll get it. If not, Google it!
Spent the night in Holbrook. My night life consisted of gassing up at the convenience store,
buying a diet coke and a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos and heading back to the motel.
This is my road heading north out of Holbrook. I left I-40 to make it's way to Albuquerque without me. I followed Indian Road 77 and Indian Road 17 and made my way to the Hubbell Trading Post
The Hubbell Trading Post was at one time a big concern in this part of the rez. It still has a functional store selling food, clothing, rugs, jewelry, etc. The National Park Service administers the site.
They have a fine collection of period firearms from Sharps Buffalo rifles to Model 1893 Winchesters and several others in between.
I'm not a real huge fan of olives, but this jar of Jalapeno Stuffed Olives caught my eye and then my taste buds. They were 'bout gone by the time I arrived at Jared's.
The big story of the trip to Hubbell did not happen at Hubbell at all. It happened as I drove past the LDS Branch House just a couple of blocks away from the Trading Post. I spotted a couple of elders washing their truck. I pulled in to talk and give them 20 bucks for lunch (maybe somebody pays it forward to Dan some day). We got to visitin' a little bit and found out that one of them knew an 'old guy' that knows Kanab. He went and got him and lo and behold it was President Washburn! This is the man that was the Stake President when I left for Peru and was the Stake President when my mom was Stake Relief Society President. He was called as a member of the second quorom of Seventy, released after five years, then served as a mission president in Arizona and then as Las Vegas Temple President. An example of putting himslef in the Lord's way and fulfulling his responisibilities. His wife had recently passed away and President Washburn moved himself to Ganado to help the branch there. He is the branch's mission leader, no better call for that man. We talked about people from that era we both knew. I reminded him he delivered my two youngest sisters, Nancy and Rachel. Small world.
No comments:
Post a Comment