Friday, June 11, 2010

Photo Quiz #15 (Answered)


Ok, it's been awhile since the last Photo Quiz. With summer upon us it seems that our lives have gotten more hectic. Between Matt's recent surgery* and the work day** at Moccasin and Peg's annual trip to North Carolina*** and yard work**** and Timberline***** and Jared's and Sarah's impending visit****** with their families and a general lack of 'get up and go'******* I've kind of dropped the ball on the Photo Quizzes.


*Matt had arthroscopic surgery (again!) on his left ankle. This time we took him to the U and had the head of the foot and ankle department perform the procedure. This time, unlike previous procedures, they went in from the back side of the ankle. So now we wait (again!) and hope and pray for the best. We are grateful for the ward members who fasted on his behalf.


**Sorry, meant to say Heritage day!


***Yes, it's that time of year again when grown women get together and go shopping and dining out at different restaurants and generally have a good time without their husbands. Sorry John, you can't come. It's a 'sister' trip.


**** We put in a raised bed garden this year, watered by a drip system. Drip systems are kind of like Tinker Toys, or Legos, and easier than all the work with PVC pipe and trenches.



*****It's my year to be Scoutmaster at Timberline. I turned it down last year because I thought I was too busy. It turns out this year is worse! Oh well, I've got a good group of ASM's, QM's, and I think a good youth staff, so it should turn out well.



******Finally, we're going to get the WHOLE family together. We're just WAY excited. (I try not to use all caps too much, but I'll make an exception here.)



*******I think this is related to age.



Enough with the intro and asterisks. On with the quiz!

Fabulous prize*: Name the item shown in the picture.

Bonus prize**: Tell me what the numbers represent.

Extra special super duper bonus prize***: Meaning of the hatchet, wagon wheel, arrow, and tree.

Scout prize****: Name the knot at the bottom and what it represents.

*A genuine Mizzy heatless wheel, complete with mandrel (not generic, mind you, a real Mizzy)
**A genuine Magicube (better known as a flash cube [a real collector's item!])
***A phone jack splitter (2-1)
****Some cheap earphones (never used)
*****A scout badge (what else?)

OK, that's it. Have at it!!

Elizabeth scored a slam-dunk on this one. So she gets all the cheapo prizes! This is a "bandlo" although I always heard it pronounced with three syllables, more like "band-a-lo". My only quibble with her answers is that I don't think the three classes were collectively called Guide Patrol. I'm not sure that there was a collective name for all three. I think that Guide Patrol referred only to the last class. Speaking of which, isn't it interesting that back then 11-year old Scouts were taught by women? I can still remember following Gladys Riggs on hikes. I think we always had an older Scout as an assistant but Gladys was our leader.

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I remember those but of course not being in Guide Patrol I didn't know what all the symbols represented, so after a little google-ing this is what I came up with.

First it is a bandlo for the Guide Patrol which was the three oldest classes of boys in Primary.

Numbers - earned each time the corresponding A of F was memorized

Hatchet - symbol for the Blazer class

Wagon Wheel - Trekker class

Arrow - Guide class

Tree - Trail Builder symbol

Knot - Bowline for the Tenderfoot award

Gilbert said...

Wow, a blast from the past! And this was week primary was held on a weekday.

the thrid set(arrow) we allways called it the Guide Patrol.

As for the meanings of the hatch, wagon wheel, arrow, tree, and bowline, I can't remember what the repensent. Can this be old age creeping up on me? Nah, don't think so.

Elizabeth said...

So I went back and re-read your requirements and no I don't know the meaning either, if they did have a meaning. I know the girls were Gaynotes, Firelights, and Merrie Hands and there were mottos with each of those, but don't remember those either. Also each class had a song and I found the lyrics on the web. I actually remembered the tune when I read the words! How's that for old age? Don't ask me to repeat the words on my own though.

Anonymous said...

This I'll leave to Elizabeth and Gilbert. I believe they got all the answers. Elizabeth you forgot the scroll, John got for graduating from Primary.

Rachel said...

I will just be glad for you John that you get everyone here! Hope we can come down and visit for a bit but I have girls camp at the same time. Have a great time!

Andy and Andrea said...

So maybe I'm a few days late on this and the discussion is over. Glad to finally find your blog John. Good stuff.

I have to comment on quiz #11 again. (Sorry mom, it is Andy. John and dad weren't the only ones to wear green army jackets, and I like Gilbert, also dug my share of spuds). So John, I am not inconclusive... I've got a quiz #12follow up for you John, do you know the year and make of Grandpa's last pick-up and how much did dad have to pay for the 69? (no help allowed!) On quiz #1, for the record, I loved that pep band t-shirt and only got rid of it a couple of years ago... Of course the Kanab pep band was at its zenith in the mid 70's.

John and Peggy said...

OK Andy, I guess I'll have to state it again. Mom is the ultimate authority. You can take it up with her!
Grandpa's last pickup was a GMC (I think) and it was a '72. I'm guessing dad paid zilch for the '69. And I agree that the pep band probably totally rocked in the mid 70's, mostly due to the great foundation laid in the late 60's and early 70's.

Andy and Andrea said...

I'll have to take it up with the Ulitmate Authority then... Yeah, it was a 72 GMC automatic. I really wanted that truck, but Uncle Tony pretty well trashed it.

And you're right, dad paid nada.*

*info provided by the Ultimate Authority.

Bet it was great to have Jared home. Sorry we missed him.