Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving Memories, 2010

Just some random pictures from Thanksgiving. Sarah and her boys were able to come down and spend a few weeks with us before the holiday. Above is the centerpiece of Thanksgiving, a 29.4 lb. monster turkey! (We like leftovers!)


After about 7 hours in the oven, the turkey is ready to be carved. And people are starting to get hungry!



Lawson is pretty proud of his gingerbread house. Grandma Peg and Sarah helped him make it.

A couple of years ago I ran a post about making Christmas candy (see here)* and Saturday we gathered up our nuts**, butter, chocolate, etc. and went to Mom's to cook up some tasty treats.
*A link! How cool is that?
**You know, almonds, pecans and peanuts.
Although we have a stove, pots and pans, etc. at home, we just don't dare make it without Mom's kitchen. Mom says (and I agree with here) that the secret ingredient is making it together. We tried to make her sit down and just be a consultant this time, but she couldn't resist peeking at the pot just to make sure it was ready before we poured it out. And we still needed that reassurance we were doing it right!


All in all, we filled 62 tins of toffee and made four double batches of peanut brittle. We've given out both candies for several years now and invariably people say it's the best they've ever had. In fact, there have been some people complain that we didn't give any to them! And if they ask for the recipe I tell them they have all the ingredients at home but Mom, her kitchen, and her love.*
*I know that sounds corny, but it's absolutely 100% true.

Heaton.


Another holiday tradition, of course, is putting up the tree and the lights and decorating for Christmas. Matt's spearheading the outside lights this year. Danny's offering moral support.


Look at me!


Lawson helped Danny clean the Mitsubishi one sunny afternoon. He's really getting that windshield clean.

Peekaboo!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I know what you mean, I don't know if I even dare try to do it on my own this year. Mom made up a batch for me when I came home for Analee's baby in Nov. last year and I carried it carefully on the plane home. I still have a teeny bit left in the freezer. I wonder if it will measure up.