Monday, November 7, 2011

Tuckup, Yes. Shaman's Gallery, No.

Last spring our scout troop planned a trip to Tuckup Canyon in order to hike in and see the big pictograph panel commonly known as Shaman's Gallery. Things didn't work out and so we tried again last Friday. Weather reports indicated a storm was moving in, but you just never know. The clouds were gathering by the time we reached the Tuweep turnoff.

The first order of business on a blustery day is to get a fire going. We camped just this side of the park boundary, some six or seven miles from the trailhead.

Gathered around the campfire are Devin, Cameron, Payton, and Logan. A few flurries are a hint of things to come.

Rather than pitch a tent, I chose to sleep in the back of the truck. A foam pad, a couple of sleeping bags, and a few blankets helped to ensure a good night's sleep. A propane lantern and a fairly early bedtime gave me a chance to try and catch up with Danny in our race to read the Book of Mormon before the end of the year. I pulled a big tarp over me before I finally nodded off.....................

.............and it's a good thing I did. I took this picture when I woke up in the middle of the night to answer the call of nature.

And this was the sight that greeted my eyes early the next morning!

The rest of the troop was smarter than I and put up their tents under the spreading branches of cedar trees.

Me, on the other hand, found three to four inches of snow on top of my tarp! I have to say between the weight of the snow and the blankets I was almost too hot. It was just getting up that was the hard part.

Breakfast of champions (and scouts).


We broke camp and headed for the rim. Because of the weather, we had decided it might not be the wisest course to take the scouts down, but wanted to see the trailhead anyway.

Although the skies began to clear by the time we reached the rim, the snowy conditions and cold wind weighed heavily against proceeding. James Holland, our super scoutmaster, does an excellent job with the boys.
Tuckup Canyon, to be conquered another day. We're planning for spring.

Approaching the Tuweep road on the way back. Heaton Knolls are in the background. A couple of guys came out to join us the night before and missed the flagged junction. They spent the night at Tuweep and met up with us just as we reached our campsite on the return trip.


1 comment:

Gilbert said...

John, those are some great looking pictures of the landscape out on the Strip. But I must be get old and forgetful. I couldn't figure out whos truck that was untill I saw the next one.