Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Kanab's (Improved) Version of the Days of '47 Parade


One of the good things about parades in small towns is that they'll let just about anybody be in a parade if they want to.  And sometimes, even if you don't want to!  This year the two stakes here in town decided to really make a big deal about it and it turned out quite well, if I say so myself.

The Stake Presidencies rode horses, the bishoprics were in classic cars, the Primary children and youth were invited to bring any thing that had non-motorized wheels (basically bikes and skateboards) and the wards had the obligatory float.


Curt had a friend that loaned us an old Chevy (1931, I think) and we rode in style down the street, escorted by all the kids on their bikes, wagons, etc.).  By the way, for those who have never ridden in a rumble seat, they are not the easiest things to get into and out of!


Another good thing about small-town parades is that you get to double back and go over the route again which gives the participants a chance to see the other entries in the parade.


Couldn't resist getting a picture of this little cowgirl.


Here's Ron and Nancy Ford representing the Kanab Third Ward.  Earl Robinson is playing the part of a team of horses.    I was so busy waving the special "wave" to the teeming throngs lining the parade route I hardly had time to take pictures.

The holiday ended with a big picnic at the park with hundreds of people in attendance.  A great day to emphasize our pioneer beginnings in Utah and the unique dynamics and commonalities that most communities in Utah share.

1 comment:

Andy said...

this makes me homesick. Just need the band playing "The Spirit of God," I still have the music.