Monday, March 17, 2014

Photo Quiz #51 (Answered!)


This is an English Ivy on the northeast side of our house. It's a slow growing plant but has picked up the pace a bit the past few years. This year it developed this pattern of leaf loss. The quiz for today is why do we see the loss of leaves in such a pattern. Have at it. I await your wisdom!

Gilbert suggested it was frost, but if it was frost why wasn't the ivy behind the fence affected?  Actually it was deer nibbling on the foliage, the first time we have ever seen that and that ivy has been there for years!  




4 comments:

Gilbert said...

I think maybe it was winter kill. Maybe the top got the sun or it was warmer at the top than at the bottom? Most of the ivy here in St. Geo. died back this year. That's my theory.

John and Peggy said...

I don't think that's it. If you look at the ivy behind the fence, you'll see that it is green and full.

John and Peggy said...

I don't think that's it. If you look at the ivy behind the fence, you'll see that it is green and full.

John and Peggy said...

A double post!