Friday, June 13, 2014

Journey


Although I didn't spend the whole four days at youth conference this year, the overriding impression I got was DUST!  It was dry, hot, and dusty on Cedar Mountain this year, even more so than when we went to Quesr.
In the picture above, Lindsay Willis (I can't remember her married name), formerly of the Third Ward, taught the YM and YW a Jewish wedding dance.  The kids were a little reluctant at first but by the time she was through with them they were begging for more!


Again, like Quest, the participants were divided up into tribes, each headed by a couple called to be tribal leaders.  The tribes were named after the original twelve tribes of Israel.  The focus this conference was "Journey, To Know Him"  and took as their text 2 Nephi 25:26.  We talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.


Since I only went for the one night, I bunked with the Bishop in his tent.  Man, those Springbars are nice tents!  Expensive, but nice.


Stake leaders getting ready to have the walls "come tumblin' down".  This is part of the re-enactment of the tribes of Israel at Jericho.


The Ark of the Covenant being born by some sturdy lads.


Gathering for some re-enactments.  One of the wonders of modern camping life are the great folding camp chairs.





Each tribe had their own flag.


Bishop Hawkins competing in the sling contest.  The missiles for marshmallows and the contest made for some interesting moments.

This was a major event put on by the stake and provided a great experience for all involved.  It will make a lasting impression on all who were there.  We hardly ever remember specific lessons on Sunday but we always remember the big events like the Youth Conferences, scout campouts, super activities, and the like.

Like I said earlier, I couldn't stay the whole time due to a seminar I attended in Albuquerque, but I had a great time while I was there.

No comments: