
Photo Quiz #6!!!!
We'll step back a little bit in time for this one
For fabulous prize* name the location.
For bonus prize**, name one of the two men on horseback.
For the extra special super duper bonus prize***, name the other man on horseback.
For the sleuth extraordinaire prize****, name the two men standing to the right of the white horse (one of them partially obscured by the butt of said horse).
For the incredible "I won the lottery!" prize*****, name the horses.
*Fabulous prize - These handy little plastic toothpicks, a real winner. Comes with their own little plastic box. It's recommended you don't put used ones back in the container.**Bonus prize - A genuine ZIG Millenium yellow marker. It's so yellow it's practically invisible ink! Also it is acid-free, archival quality, lightfast, waterproof, fadeproof, and non-bleeding (it says so right on the pen).
***Extra Special Super Duper Bonus prize - A shoe horn.
****Sleuth Extraordinaire prize - Some handy (I love that word) foam-tipped micro applicators.
*****Incredible "I won the lottery!" prize - So incredible I can't bring myself to post a picture of it or even give a description of it.
I reserve the right to change, alter, mutilate, fold and spindle the rules, prizes, and issuance of same. Just so you know.
WINNER(S) of Photo Quiz #6 (A Horse With No Name?)
Fabulous prize - Gilbert was the winner here. This photo was taken mid to late 1920's, probably soon after Grandpa Heaton returned from his mission. It was taken in Orderville, on the west side of town looking eastward and, as near as I can figure, on the main road entering town (where the present day highway is).
Bonus pize -Also goes to Gilbert for correctly identifying grandpa as the one on the white* horse.
E.S.S.D.B.** prize is awarded (with some misgivings) to Rachel, who should give bounteous thanks to Mom in her acceptance speech. (Perhaps she should just give the prize to Mom) The man on the dark horse is LeGrande Heaton, the father of Eleanor Reese. I gave a copy of this picture to Eleanor about a year ago and she positively ID'd*** her dad. Eleanor, along with her husband Deely**** are co-owners of the Junction Drive-In in Kanab.
Sleuth Extraordinaire prize goes to you, Bob! How did you know? I'm not sure if it is Hank and Jim, or Jim and Hank, but as far as I know it could be either. Email me your address at drjohn[at]kanab[dot]net and I'll send you the prize.
Now, for the Incredible "I won the lottery" prize a bit of explanation is in order. When I wrote the post I subtitle it "A Horse With No Name" (after the hit song [look for it on youtube]) because I didn't know the horses' names. After I showed the picture to Mom she thought the white horse MIGHT be Stranger. According to family legend (Mom*****) the only man able to break and subsequently ride Stranger was grandpa. She said he used to ride him into St. George from Moccasin to see grandma. Anyway, the Incredible "I won the lottery prize" prize goes to Rachel. Said prize consists of a 1 $ bill to be used to purchase her very own lottery ticket!
*Actually, the horse looks more like a dapple gray, than white.
**Extra Special Super Bonus
***Is that a real word? ID'd?
****His given name is Lawrence. How did they get "Deely" from that? I'll have to ask.
*****Just to be clear: the story is the legend, not Mom! Altho.....
Anyway, thanks for all the answers and participation. I'll post an announcement on Photo Quiz #7 as soon as I get it ready.



17 comments:
I don't know that I recognize anyone in this photo, but I'll venture a guess!
Location: Moccasin
Two on horseback: Their first names are eluding me for the moment, but I'll guess their last name is Heaton.
Two men standing: Hank and Jim.
Horses: Black Knight and Snowball.
I know I'm very likely wrong on all counts, but I love these trivia games so I had to take a shot at it!
-Robert
Ok, here goes.
I think that it might be over in Orderville. It just doesn't look like Moccasin to me.
The one on the white horse is Grandpa Heaton. I would have to guess that the young man on the dark horse is either Uncle Verdon or one of the Grandpas' nephews.
Can't make out the two standing on the ground nor do I know the names of the horses, and I bet that you didn't know them either unless they were written on the back of the picture or you had Moms' help.
Not that I'm complaining. I look forward to these quizes. You know you started something and you can't quit now.
Was one of the horses' called No Name?
You have got to be kidding! Truly!
1.Moccasin.
2.Grandpa Heaton and Uncle Verdon.
3.Bill is definitely one of the men in the background. I'd know. I have good eyes...
I honestly have no clue, so I just combined Gilbert and Bob's answers. I just wanted to give it a shot. I've become a follower of these quizzes. They're the highlight of my evenings and admittedly, I have set dates on my calendar when they're going to come out.
I need a hobby...
Whoa! NO clue. I'll be waited with bated breath to see who comes closest with the answers. Where's Mom when you need her? I just might give her a call--unless you have already sworn her to secrecy. Those are some seriously good prizes though. I'll bet the girls at the office and Peg both are glad to see you cleaning out your cupboards.
Too late Elizabeth, I tried mom. I did get a couple of answers though. It's Grandpa and LeGrand Heaton on the horses. As for the name of the horses, one is stranger and she didn't know the other one. It is in Orderville. Mom didn't have the picture in front of her, she just knew which one we are talking about. Oh and by the way, Happy Birthday John, - one year older and wiser too!
Rachel, your answers will have to go before the judging committee because there is a fair amount of evidence you wheedled them out of mom AFTER I told her not to tell you. Of course mother is above reproach, so the blame must be assigned elsewhere. If you have any mitigating reasons why your answers should count, please let me know. Remember, all are guilty until proven innocent or a proper renumeration (bribe) is received in a timely manner.
In response to said accusations, I did try mom but said it was OK not to tell me after I heard you tell her she couldn't help. However, Mom called me after she left your place with said answers. Did you get that, she called me with the answers. Just to show you who is the favorite after all! So my plea is not guilty on basis of my ability to decline help which then led to my receiving unsolicited assistance.
Rachel, she just probably was just taking pity on you. As Mom is the 2nd child in her family and as the 2nd child in ours we are the peace makers and try to get everyone to get along. It makes our jobs all that harder when the first and last childern THINK they are the favorites when it we all know it is. ME!
Rachel, did you come up with that doublespeak and inane rationalization all by yourself or did you have help? I can't believe you have hoodwinked mom all these years into still taking care of you. I guess it's just hard to let go of the youngest. Anyway, I would refer you to the small blue print at the bottom of the original post.
Gilbert, truth is in your words. Partly.
Ok, I'm having trouble with my acct. and yeas I know I'm late with this, so here is my take. Grandpa Heaton is on the white horse. A nephew or brother is on the brown horse and the place is Orderville. And if you can tell you the 2 other guys are then you must have been there when the picture was taken.
I did call Mom and she did not tell me. Only confirmed what I got right. So she was true to here promise not to tell.
Hey John Happy Birthday!!!
Happy late birthday! Way to go causing such a ruckus in the fam. I for one only went so far as thinking about cheating, but would never do so. You ought to consider that worthy of recognition. And as to the snow at your house...I am glad we aren't the only ones!
I agree with Gilbert's comments about the second child. Truer words have never been spoken!
-Robert
Hey now, we all know it's last the best of all the game! And as for the cheating accusation, I told mom not to tell me if John said not to, but there were no bylaws that stated a phone call to mom was out of the question. Anyways, you all must just be jealous, because we all know it's the last child that makes every family complete at last!
Rach, that is just what we let the youngest one think. We don't want to hurt your feelings.
Post a Comment