Where?
Gilbert got this one right. Now, here's the difference between a picture taker and a photographer. For years I've driven by this house always meaning to stop and take a few pictures. Each year the roof would sag a little more and I would promise myself I'd stop the next time, or the time after that. But I never did. Several years (3 or 4?) ago, I was talking with a friend who is really big (really big) into photography. I mentioned this old place out near Cane Beds that I've always wanted to take pictures of. Well, he know exactly where and what I was talking about and added that he'd been there several times to photograph it. And that's the difference between someone that dabbles and someone who takes his hobby* seriously.
Finally, about three weeks ago, I did stop and take a picture. Now, I need to get the next one I keep promising myself to get, the view from Cedar Ridge looking eastward across Pipe Valley towards the Kaibab just as the sun starts to set.
Sidetrail: His hobby has turned into a vocation for him. He's published photos in several magazines, sold prints, had a show at the gallery in Mt. Carmel, and does other types of photography.
4 comments:
It's that old house out by Cane Beds, on the westside of the highway. I thought that Mom said that it belonged to one of the Foremasters. But I could be wrong on that.
I agree with Gilbert. Though it could be out on the AZ strip.
I just saw this. Nice pic John. On the Pipe Valley photo you want, Mom and I were coming back from St. George once at night with a full moon. It had snowed so the ground was white and it gave off this eerie glow under the moonlight. As we came around the bend and Pipe Valley came into view there was this perfect monochromatic vista in front of us. I turned off the headlights (I think mom got just a little nervous) just to highten the effect. Nary a cloud in the sky and we were the only ones on the highway. It was one of the coolest sights I've ever seen. We could have literally driven all the way to Fredonia with no lights on. Ask mom if she remembers this.
Nice photo. I love to dabble in photography as well and have passed on a few picture myself. I tell myself that it won't happen again but it still does. I love the clouds in the background. It adds a bit more mystery to the house.
Post a Comment