Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Rose



On the whole, roses are beautiful flowers. You will find them in a large variety of size, shapes and colors. There are wild roses, old varieties cultivated for centuries, and new hybrids appear every year. Roses are known for their beauty and fragrance, five* petals arranged in varying degrees of complexity and thorny stems.

*Sidetrail: A few species have only 4 petals.

Taken at a glance, the rose is a beautiful, symmetric flower. Closer examination reveals that each petal is different, some with curled edges, maybe a notch here and there, slight differences in size and color. Yet despite, or more likely because of, these differences, the rose has been and remains a symbol of beauty.

1 Corinthians 12 is often quoted concerning the various talents and gifts with which we are blessed,, in varying degrees. The latter part of the chapter, however, deals with how these talents and abilities work together to bless everyone. In essense, it says the petals are nothing without the leaves, stem, or even the thorns. Although the scripture uses the human body as an analogy, I think you get idea.

Verses 21-24 emphasize that all, particularly the feeble, are necessary to make the whole and verse 18 reminds us that God has place us where he has "as it hath pleased him." I believe we can also add to that where it will do us the most good in order to reach our potential. See Moses 1:39.

Anyway, that's the thought for today.

2 comments:

Andy and Andrea said...

There are a few ways I could take this. One is that perhaps we all have flaws, traits, or abilities that contribute to the whole, and without that whole (made up of differences) none of us are complete. Some might call this diversity. The question is are we all equally blessed because of those differences, or do the thorns need to strive to become petals?

John and Peggy said...

Good thoughts. I want to comment a little more but I'm having a stupor of thought. Maybe it's because we're leaving for youth conference early in the morning, or more likely, I'm having difficulty it putting into words my thoughts. I do think that 'strive' is an interesting word. It's used in the temple recommend interview and I have often thought that on one hand we can use it to 'fudge' our answers, on the other hand I believe it's a sign of God's mercy in allowing for our 'thorns'.
More later. Maybe.