Monday, September 3, 2012

I Love To See The Temple



This past weekend Peggy and I were able to go to the Brigham City Temple open house.  Sarah was able to get us tickets* for Friday and since Peggy was able to visit for the whole week before, it worked out great for me to be able to go and get her, see Sarah and her family, and check out the open house also.
*Sidetrail:  I'm not sure why we needed tickets because nobody checked!  Maybe on a busier day they would.

In a few weeks the cornerstone will be sealed during the dedication proceedings.  Our services have been cancelled for September 23 so that all recommend holders** that wish to can attend one of the dedicatory sessions in their own stake centers.  I know this encompasses all of Utah and I would imagine SE Idaho and SW Wyoming.
**Sidetrail #2:  Children from 8 and up can also attend provided they get a recommend from their bishop.

One of the things they have done to "localize" the Brigham City Temple is to incorporate peach blossoms as a style element throughout the temple.  


Brigham City is home to Peach Days in early September with a big parade, booths, a carnival, etc.  I've blogged about it before.  It's a celebration (and big money-maker) of the peach orchards in and around Brigham City.  Peggy's grandpa and grandma Wold had a big orchard that Peggy remembers quite well.


Peg is thinking that Carl and Edna (her grandparents) must surely be pleased to see a temple in their hometown.  If we were receptive, I'm sure the veil could be pretty thin.




The rest of the day's activities included a noon picnic a little ways up the canyon near Mantua.  Here proper hot dog roasting technique is demonstrated.


There's something about fire and a little boy with a stick.  Anybody that's been to a scout camp or a Fathers and Sons outing will know what I mean.


Here grandma and the boys are shucking the corn for dinner.  Heaton tried on his spider costume for Halloween and had to wear it the rest of the day!





We closed out the day by watching The Hunger Games.  It's a pretty good flick, although Peg doesn't like that the premise of the movie is pretty much kids killing kids.  And she's got a point.  Still, it's pretty engaging as plot line.  Think Gladiator only in the future.  A rich, decadent, central authority living off the conquered, far-flung populace and amusing themselves in the games of the arena.

Anyway, we had a good time.  It's always good to visit family.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They didn't check out tickets for the SD Temple 19 yr. ago. I think it is more for crowd control.