Thursday, June 1, 2017

Timo, Pt. 4


The start of a clinic day, patients lining up to be seen.


Haitian hygiene student honing her skills.  They helped take the load off our hygienists.



Triage clowns.


Time for a break.


Trip leader Dan sitting with a young patient waiting for treatment.  Dan served his mission in Haiti 20 or so years ago.  This is his fifth trip back with HHI.  His knowledge of the village and Creole helped immensely.


Mayor Rene with the registration crew.


This guy was a champ.  He kept that autoclave humming!


Supply table.  The amalgamator (or trituator, as the younger crowd liked to call it) was an interesting piece of work.  The timer was broken, so you had to unplug it, put the amalgam capsule in it, wait for the floor fan right by it to speed up indicating that the compressor wasn't drawing any power, plug it in and count to ten, and if all the stars were in alignment you got a good mix!
We had about everything we needed on this table, except for the anesthetics, needles, and some disposables like masks, etc.  Those were kept in triage.  We had it, if we could find it!


Our Canadian contributor, Dr. Binstead, is patiently teaching Rochelle the finer points of dental assisting.  Rochelle came with her father and mother, the Dicksons, primarily to do data entry and help in the pharmacy, but one of our assistants was really sick for several days and so Rochelle was called into special duty and performed admirably.


Extraction time!




Another extraction.  I removed over 50 teeth while I was there.


I forget I'm a little shiny on top until I see a picture like this.  I think I'm carving an amalgam here.



The Three Amigos



The view from the office front door.

No comments: