Looking backwards as we left County Clare for County Kerry I took this picture. What was notable to me (and I should have blown up the picture before I posted it) is the yellow sign up past the county sign. It is in German and English, reminding drives to drive on the left side of the road. Probably for the benefit of tourists, I imagine.
Sidetrail: Speaking of driving on the left side of the road, several times a day I would catch myself holding my breath as we turned a corner or went through a roundabout seemingly to come out on the 'wrong' side of the road. When crossing the road while walking it's our (Americans) nature to look left first then right before you cross, in Ireland and other left-side driving countries this habit can be dangerous because the near lane of traffic comes at you from the right.
Another sidetrail: Our intrepid guide Jonathan explained the reason the left side of the road is the 'right' side is that anciently men would stick to the left when passing so as to leave the right hand free for their swords, if need be.
Yet another side trail: This is also the reason the spiral stairs in castles ascend clockwise. An enemy coming up is forced to expose his left side first while the defender's right hand and sword is readily at hand. (Gilbert and Sharon would obviously be picked to lead the advance against castles as they are lefties)
We crossed the Shannon estuary by ferry to avoid having to backtrack almost all the way to Limerick so we could round the Kerry peninsula on our way to Kilarney. This road is a famous tourist attraction in Ireland and is know as the Ring of Kerry.
For those of you who remember him (or care) the man second from left is Gene Drake, our tour organizer. He started by taking seniors to Mexico at the end of the school year but has expanded to leading 6-8 tours annually. Peg is the cute one. Our bus is on the right.
I want to say this is Sneem, but I don't think it is. Just consider it a picture of a river (everywhere in Ireland, it seems), an imposing bridge, and a town.
Now this is Sneem, a picturesque little town halfway between the coast and Kilarney. We spent altogether to little time here.
Sidetrail: This brings up my one big beef about the trip: We saw a lot of Southern Ireland but spent too little time at any one place. I guess that's what you have to do on a trip like this, but in the future, I'd look for a tour (or just solo it) so a person could spend more time at a particular place. This would translate into fewer sights seen, but a less hurried pace and more time to appreciate what you did see. It would also translate into more shopping time for Peggy and time to read all historical signs for me!
Just a side stop on the way to Kilarney. The yellow-flowered bush vaguely reminds you of rabbitbrush until you get closer and touch it. It's covered with thorns and would make an effective hedge. It's called gorse and is just about everywhere.
Starting the descent into Kilarney we can see the Lakes of Kilarney leading the way into town.
Next up: Ross Castle. (I know you can't wait.) And the Blarney Stone!
6 comments:
John, reading about your trip to Ireland, has brought back the time when Bertie Sue and I went to England and Scotland.
As for drive on the "worng" side of the road, it is really kinda of scary. I remember trying to cross the streets in London. That alone is enough to shorten your life by a few years.
We went mostly by train, but took a bus tour around the highland is Scotland. Both had thier plus and minuses, but I think if we went back I would rent a car.
Sounds like you and Peggy sure had fun.
Gilbert, I thought of you and Bertie Sue when we were over there. I don't think that Peg and I could do what you guys did. We're multiple suitcase type people.
Did you kiss the blarney stone? Jeff's brother went on his mission to Ireland and I don't know that I would kiss the stone after all the stories he told about what people really put on it...
I can't wait to see the Blarney Stone and hear all about it. It has been fun to "travel" through Ireland with you.
Hey, John. It's josh, analee's husband. I've got a good friend I grew up with who will be stationed as a DNR wildlife officer in Kanab. He's looking for a house, and can't find any through his realtor. So if you know of any nice ones or any good realtors down there, shoot me an e-mail @ fife_8hotmail.com. It'd be a big help to him.
Josh, I tried your email and it kept coming back so I must have had it wrong. Have your friend call or email me and I'd be glad to talk with him. My email is drjohn[at]kanab.net.
Post a Comment