The trail leads to the Pinnacles and then follows the south side of the south fork of Hog Canyon for 2 or 3 twisty miles until it heads up the hill and comes out on top where you can follow another trail back down to the towers and then down the road back to the start. It is also possible to reach the Crocodile road and hence Johnson or Kanab Canyons from there, but that's another story.
If you look in the middle of this picture you can see the Polaris lying on its side. Just before the trail tops out, and I mean literally feet from the top, there is a particularly steep section coming up over the cap rock* layer. I made the kids get off (actually they walked up most of this hill) and tried to get the 4-wheeler up the hill. Well, on the third try I flipped it over backwards and while I went one way and luckily, it went the other! It went end over end from about where I'm standing taking the picture.**
It took about another hour to get it upright*** and wrangled over to the trail where I meekly turned around and went back the way we came!
*Roger Holland once told me the name of the layer but I've forgotten.
**My shadow.
***Even after flipping over several times the engine was still running! That's a 2-cycle for you. The only damage sustained by the Polaris was a slight straightening of the back rack which had been previously been bent askew* during a previous rollover on the sands near Lamb Spring.
*I've been waiting to use that word for a while now.

3 comments:
Which is most likely to result in serious injury, motorcycle (includes dirt bikes) or ATV's? ATV's according an informal survey conducted by Andy's ER observations.
Well, the observations didn't actually do the survey...
Andy, I think you're right. A big part of the problem is that ATV's are too easy to learn how to ride and as a result, it is easy to get in trouble with them.
Post a Comment