Monday, September 13, 2010

Photo Quiz #20 (ANSWER)

This edition of Photo Quiz comes to us from the black-and-white* archives. For the Fabulous prize** name the person on the foot bridge. The Bonus prize*** will be awarded for naming the location and name of the stream below the bridge and the Yet Another**** prize is for correctly identifying the year.


*Remember when you paid a premium for color prints? Black and white film was not only cheaper to buy, it was much cheaper to print. Now the situation is reversed. Of course, film has almost become a historical foootnote itself with the advent of digital photography.
**As you can see, the Fabulous prize is a refrigerator magnet clip imprinted with the Henry Schein Pro Repair logo. A welcome addition to any kitchen decor.
***The Bonus prize is a Sharpie pen.
****The Yet Another prize (new category, it's easier to type than 'extra special super duper bonus prize) is a little strap for hooking on to your camera or walking your pet hamster.

Answers and Additional Commentary: I have to go with Andy on this one. Why? Because he is right and also because he used the word 'Havasuesque"* in one of his comments. This was taken on our family trip down Havasu Canyon in 1971, right after I graduated from KHS. And it is Mom crossing the creek. Dad may have shot color film, but all mine are B&W.
*Cleverly made-up words (or even words that are real but seem made-up are always a bonus here at the Photo Quiz home office.

6 comments:

Andy and Andrea said...

I'm going to take a wild (and I mean wild) stab at this.
Person: mom
Location: Havasu (Supai)
Stream: Havasu creek
Year: 1971

Gilbert said...

I'm going with Andy on this one...I looked at this morning before work and all I could think of was the hike across the Grand Canyon.
I knew it had to be Mom but I couldn't place the where.
Now that he said Havasu, it does look familiar.

Elizabeth said...

?????????????? That looks like a white hat Mom has on. I think the one she wore to Havasu was stripped. Besides we had color photos when we went to Havasu. A different trip through the Grand Canyon?

Andy and Andrea said...

My first thought was the cross canyon hike from a time I don't remember (and didn't go). I've never done that hike so there is nothing to recognize in the photo.

The cliff in the background seems Havasuesque, along with the trees (one looks like a cottonwood, the other probably an Arizona ash). I know there are only a few places in the canyon where cottonwoods grow and the only 2 places that any of our family members might have been are Phantom and Havasu. There also appears to be fence posts in the background which suggests the Supai area of Havasu since I'm pretty sure there aren't fences as such at Phantom.

I also remember John dabbled a bit in photography and developing and thought this might be his work. Anyway, that's my reasoning.

Anonymous said...

I'm, with Elizabeth on this one. I think it is on one of of the 2 trips down the Grand Canyon.

Andy and Andrea said...

Elizabeth and Sharon, more than likely I would have been more angsty trying to divinate the true identity of the aforementioned photo had I not traversed the length of the Colorado river through Grand Canyon some 180 times. As a result I am intimately familiar with the river corridor and a plethora of off river locations.