Yep, it's Grosvenor Arch, "discovered" in 1949 by a Nat'l Geographic "expedition". I have a hard time believing that somebody hadn't seen it before that given that fact that cowboys and prospectors and others were all over the place. I suspect that "discovery" has more to do with publication and promotion than the actual finding of something new.
An example might be the petroglyph panel in Tuckup that some enterprising (who shall rename nameless here) guy touted as his great 'find' when in reality others had seen and mentioned it before.
Anyway, back to the arch. If I remember right, I took this picture about 15 or so years ago. Current pictures show the large pine at the base has since died.
8 comments:
Kodachrome Basin State Park
Grosvner Arch
I agree with Andy and Andrea. And I believe that the Arch is Grosvenor Arch. Named after the 1st? President of National Geographic.
I will agree with Andy. That's what I thought when I saw the pic.
As I Wiki'ed Grosvenor Arch. It is actually in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, in Northern Kane County.
Sharon, you could be right. I just remember going to the arch when I visited Kodachrome Basin years ago. I just assumed I was still in the park.
Oh man, I wish I had seen this was up earlier! I actually know the answer to this one as well! But alas - I am too late! Ditto on the Grosvenor Arch!
Yep, it's Grosvenor Arch, "discovered" in 1949 by a Nat'l Geographic "expedition". I have a hard time believing that somebody hadn't seen it before that given that fact that cowboys and prospectors and others were all over the place. I suspect that "discovery" has more to do with publication and promotion than the actual finding of something new.
An example might be the petroglyph panel in Tuckup that some enterprising (who shall rename nameless here) guy touted as his great 'find' when in reality others had seen and mentioned it before.
Anyway, back to the arch. If I remember right, I took this picture about 15 or so years ago. Current pictures show the large pine at the base has since died.
Post a Comment