I was driving down to Vegas last Wednesday to pick Matt and his friends up when I noticed this big dust cloud obscuring Centennial Park and much of Short Creek. I'm not sure why, but the song "Dust in the Wind" by the 70s group Kansas popped into my head.
I close my eyes
Only for a moment
And the moment's gone.
All my dreams
Pass before my eyes a curiosity.
Dust in the wind,
All we are is dust in the wind.
As I get older, time seems to pass more rapidly. This spring marked 37 years since I graduated from KHS! Peggy and I have been married for 33. Our oldest is 31. What happened? One thing I have begun to understand (Peg's been WAY ahead of me on this one) is that the most important thing we have is family. I've always believed that, but I haven't really understood it.
Now, don't hang on,
Nothing lasts forever
But the earth and sky.
It slips away,
And all your money
Won't another minute buy.
But now, with grandchildren and in-laws and extended family I can begin to see why our parents and grandparents dropped everything to be with and help their children. Beyond what we need to house, feed, and educate our family, other activities and work ought to be measured by their consequences on the unity and well-being of the soul and one's family. Family, I think, could also include those who we are able to serve in the course of our callings, as neighbors, and others we are able to help in some way.
Dust in the wind,
All we are is dust in the wind.
Of course, because of the atonement of Jesus Christ, we are more than just "dust in the wind."
We take nothing material with us out of this life, but we do take memories, thoughts, knowledge, and eternal covenants that will bind us together in the eternities.
1 comment:
I always feel so blessed and lucky to know that I actually know the true and living gospel. I find a lot of comfort in that. I am also greatful and blessed to have such wonderful parents that have taught me the gospel. Family is the most important thing that is for sure, and I am glad to know that families CAN be together forever!
Post a Comment