Monday, June 2, 2008

Missionary Grandfather


Recently (OK, maybe six or so months ago), I was visiting Mom and she had me pull out an old trunk that had belonged to my grandfather, Gilbert Giles Heaton. In it were a couple of envelopes full of old negatives. I bought a second-hand scanner from a guy at a beginning Photoshop class and finally got it set up and by trial and error figured out how to scan negatives and have them turn out right. I'm still trying to figure out all the details on how best to scan them and store them. There are three formats available to me with this particular scanner, JPEG, TIFF and BMP.

Anyway, here's the first one. I'll find out the exact details from mom when and where he went. I know it was in the Chicago area (or Lansing, Michigan) and he was older when he left, in his mid-twenties.

He left a great example for his posterity and they have responded in kind. He had one son serve a mission, ten grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren (so far). He was the grandson of William and Esther Heaton, who crossed the plains in the McArthur handcart company, and the son of Jonathan Heaton, a founding member of the United Order in Orderville.

3 comments:

Sarah Greener said...

Cool pic. I love to look at old pictures. That is great that you could find all those pictures too! Sorry about the trailer, but with our luck I am not surprised! hahaha oh well. Gas isnt quite that much here yet... it is about 3.89. I hate it though and it doesnt show any signs of slowin....boo.........

Elizabeth said...

John, found you through Sarah's blog, by way of Analee's blog. Great picture of Grandpa. My question is, can we get copies of these oldies? I think it's great that you joined the world of blogging. I'm a closet (or not so closet) blog stalker. It's fun to see what everyone is up to.

Sarah Greener said...

hey dad, i got that stupid comment form &hearts too! I just deleted it... i wounder why and how it got there? weird..........