Friday, January 8, 2010

Photo Quiz #1


I will send a fabulous prize* to whomever** is the first to identify the person in this photo. A bonus prize*** will be awarded if the location is correctly identified.



If this is well received you can expect more of this nonsense in the future. If there is no interest, I will probably do it again anyway.


*Said "fabulous prize" will be a BRAND NEW Colgate toothbrush!

**Or "who ever". The whole "whom" and "who" thing is a little hazy to me.

***Bonus prize = BRAND NEW floss! Either Colgate or Oral B. (I reserve the right to substitue the issued prize with another brand of equal or great quality.)

Excuse the fine print. It's a legal deal.

We Have A Winner!

Sharon correctly guessed the identity of the wannabe hippy. Yes, it's Andy, and she was vaguely right on the location. Specifically, it's at that old ranch (Uncle Mark's?) in Little Tuweep. If I recall correctly, we (Dad, Gilbert, Andy, and me) left early on New Year's day to get a load of wood. Nancy may have been there also. As usual with such trips we left early (very) in the morning and pulled off on a little side road to the east in upper Little Tuweep. After about a mile, we stopped, got the saws out and ready to go and then heard a dreaded sound: the hissing of air from a punctured tire. No problem, right? Except we soon discovered the spare was flat! We threw everything back in the truck and barely made it back to the main road before the right rear tire went completely flat. So, there we were, miles from the highway, on a lonely dirt road.

Sidetrail: What is it with the Strip? We've had more than our fair share of flat tires, dead batteries, mud, etc. on our trips out there. One trip alone I had three trailer tire flats, a leaky tire on the Durango, and broke out the rear window on said Durango! The worst dead battery was at Tuckup and resulted in an extra 16 mile hike (after hiking to Cottonwood Spring and back earlier) to June Tank and waiting until 1am when Mom and my FIL, Tom, finally came by. This could be a subject for another post.

Long story short: Andy and I hiked 5-6 miles to the ranch in hopes of finding an old cattle truck we could jumpstart. Instead we found this old van, obviously not going anywhere. We left the road to cut across to the ranch and so missed the Fredonia scouts returning from the rim. They picked Gilbert up and hauled him to Fredonia where he called mom, who came to our rescue.

So, Sharon, fabulous prize (and bonus prize) will be in the mail today (hopefully its a different brand that what you use in your office!) and to all you also-rans out there, better luck next time!

7 comments:

bob said...

Those prizes are amazing! These prizes must be courtesy of a dentist!

Even though I have no idea on the picture, I can't pass up the chance at winning a contest.

I'd say the person in the picture is none other than John Schmutz, and the location is somewhere near Orderville.

I'm sure I'm wrong on both, so my only hope is that no one else offers a guess, and I win by default!

-Robert

Anonymous said...

Hey John,

I think it is bro. Andy out on the Ariz. Strip.

The shirt I believe was a pep band shirt.

Sharon

Elizabeth said...

Dang! I hoped I'd be the first. Andy and more specifically I think he is at Whitmore, or Bar Ten, whichever you want to call it. Sharon is right, that's a pep band T-shirt, boy that brings back a whole slew of memories.

bob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bob said...

Dang! Looks like I'm out a new toothbrush and/or floss!

Maybe next time...

For the record, Shayla thought it was Andy, she just didn't offer her vote. She should have though, she could have had a new toothbrush. She really needs one too. I think her current brush is about ten months old!

John and Peggy said...

Thanks for the responses. Details are on original post.

Robert, you were not only wrong, but way wrong! However, since Shayla needs a new toothbrush, and I assume you and the boys need one also, email me your address at drjohn@kanab.net and I'll send some to you.

Liz, those pepband tshirts were after my time (thank heavens).

Elizabeth said...

Your AZ strip trip with the Durango out does ours. We did have two flats in one trip though. We took a friend of Rick's out with us once and told him that we always got a flat, he laughed and passed it off, but yeah we had a flat not too long after that. I am waiting anxiously for the next contest...Bryan loved seeing Andy's long hair...