Friday, January 15, 2010

Photo Quiz #2


OK, there was a semi-tepid response to Photo Quiz #1, and, as I promised, there will be more.

Here is Photo Quiz #2:

Fabulous prize* this week can be won by naming the five individuals in the above picture. The bonus prize** (can be won independently) goes to whoever identifies the man on the far left who is barely in the photo. An extra special super duper bonus prize*** will be awarded for correctly guessing the event.



*Un sol de oro - No, it's not "sol" as in "sun" and it's definitely not "oro" as in "gold" but it is the currency of Peru. Well, it was the currency of Peru, but has been superseded by the nuevo sol de oro. At the time I was there (72-74) the old sol was worth about 2.5 US cents, the new sol is worth about 2.5 US dollars. You're getting the old sol!

**20 centavos - or one fifth of un sol de oro (the old currency) which means the stamp on the envelope I send it in will be worth more than the prize.

***10 centavos - I won't be hurt if the winner declines this prize.



2/3 WINNER!!!

OK, Gilbert got 2 out of 3 questions on the quiz this week. The men on the front row are (l-r): Harold B. Lee, Joseph Fielding Smith, N. Eldon Tanner, and Dallin H. Oaks. The first three were the First Presidency at the time. On the second row, barely visible is Mark E. Peterson and Marion G. Romney, members of the Quorum of the Twelve. The occasion is the installation of Dallin H. Oaks as president of Brigham Young University in the fall of 1971.

Sidetrail: This was my first semester at BYU after graduating from KHS earlier in the year and just before my mission. I did a lot of clueless things that semester and one of them was taking this picture. I went to the ceremony and was lucky enough to get a seat right down next to the stage. If I remember right, this took place in the old fieldhouse (this was pre-Marriott Center days) and I noticed some people getting up and taking pictures from the side of the platform. So I popped up and did the same and when I was walking back to my seat I noticed that all the other photographers had press passes clipped to them and they were lo0king at me kind of funny-like!

Anyway, promised fabulous prize and bonus prize will be awarded to Gilbert. Super duper bonus prize will be reserved for a later date.

4 comments:

Gilbert said...

Ok, John lets see, starting from left to right, I would say that it is Harold B. Lee, Joseph Fielding Smith, N. Eldon Tannner, and Dallin H. Oaks. 2nd row is Mark E. Petersen(son) and Marion G. Romeny. I would guess that it is taken when you graturated from the Y.

Anonymous said...

Hey John,

I agree with Gilbert. except he got the bonus pic. I didn't know who it was.

Sharon

Rachel said...

Whatever, all I can say is that it was a little before my time! However, I enjoy the game of it though!

Elizabeth said...

What? I almost missed another one! Wish I could say I knew them all. I recognized Lee, Tanner, Oaks and Romney. Whoa, your kids are getting old...er...