Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Photo Quiz #7 (Answered 3/4/10)




A new category of prize is being introduced for this edition of Photo Quiz #7. While I don't think this is a particularly difficult quiz, it is a special one, therefore this prize is a Special prize.

For the Special* prize - Name the location and what it's known for. Be as specific as possible and realize answers will be thoroughly scrutinized for completeness and accuracy.

That's it. Just one** Special prize on this one.

*Special prize is just that. A Special prize. To reveal more would perhaps reveal too much. Or maybe not.

**You think it's easy to come up with new and exciting and different prizes each Quiz?


ANSWER!!!! (And more!)

OK, I promised to hold people to high standards of accuracy for this one and I shall deliver. Gilbert was almost right. And Sharon was almost right. And no, Sharon, I did not get the picture idea from Wikipedia but I went there after I saw your comment and found that the one there had to have been taken from very near where I took mine.

Here's the anwer: It is Martin's Cove, named after Edward Martin, leader of the 5th handcart company. After a soul-sapping, freezing crossing of the Sweetwater, the Martin handcart company, the Hunt and Hodgett wagon companies, and a small group of rescuers from the Salt Lake Valley holed up for five bitterly cold and freezing days in this little canyon. It is not certain how many died here in this cove, but the Martin handcard company suffered the loss of about 145 men, women, and children during the entire trek. Certainly the majority died here. The reason your answers were almost right is the Willie handcart company was not here. They were almost another 100 miles further west undergoing their own ordeal at Rocky Ridge.

So, regretfully, in the interest of the integrity of the Quiz, I have determined that there is no winner for Quiz #7. There are, however, participation prizes that will shortly be in the mail to Gilbert, Sharon, McKenna, and Elizabeth.
And now, a few pictures from our own trip to Martin's Cove several years ago with the YM/YW of the Kanab Utah Stake.

Peg and I doing our part. The large wheels of the handcart made them relatively easy to pull, but then we weren't underfed, cold, and exhausted from pulling them for days on end through sand, mud, snow, across rivers and up hills.

Doing our own crossing of the Sweetwater. In the upper picture you can see the five YM in our "family" pulling mightily. All five went on missions. Yes, that's Peg in the background. Our camp was a little over six miles from the visitor center where we picked up and returned the cart and she walked every bit of it both ways, plus the several miles to Martin's Cove and back.

She also took her turn as cook. Some may recognize the tall guy not in pioneer clothes as Lex Chamberlain. On the far right Kim Jones and James Holland are trying to figure out how to get out of doing the dishes.

Pioneer children sang as they walked, and walked, and walked.....

7 comments:

Gilbert said...

John, I have no idea, but I will give it a shot.

I'm guessing that it is Martin's Cove and this is where the Martin and Willy handcart companies spent the winter.

If not, all I know is that its not somewhere in Southern Utah.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Gilbert I think you are right. I also believe it is Martin's Cove. And also the place where the Willy and Martin Handcart Co. spent 5 days in the Cove after crossing the Sweetwater River.

Got the info on Wikipedia.

McKenna said...

I don't know if it's Martin's Cove but I will let you know after August 2011 when we take our youth there!

Elizabeth said...

I am curious about where this is. I wouldn't have even thought of Martin's Cove, but it seems to be as good as answer as any.

John said...

As mentioned in the Quiz, specificity is the order of the day and accuracy is to be rewarded. This is NOT horseshoes and hand grenades, folks.

McKenna, if nobody has guessed correctly by Aug 2011, I will gladly let you tell us!

John said...

By the way, McKenna, cool picture for your avatar (I think that's what that's called!).

Anonymous said...

Hey John,

Did you get the picture idea from Wikipedia?