Thursday, May 20, 2010

Grandpa Tom

A few weeks ago Danny went through a spurt of English homework that involved writing poems in certain styles and subjects. He was struggling with one particular assignment and asked for some help. I wrote the following poem and thought I'd post it here on Tom's birthday (he would've been 92). It's written from the perspective of a grandchild. By the way, it's not the one Danny handed in.






He walked, slowly, hesitantly,
Hunched over with the weight of age.
Already forgotten was yesterday
But childhood memories still remain.


Sometimes he sat, lost in Time
Counting, one by one, the peas on his plate.
Frustrated by remembrances just out of reach,
By lost abilities and passions.


I remember him strong and good, and wise.
He bounced me on his knee and laughed.
To see him change was new, and frightening,
To be cared for as once he cared for me.


Men and women, friends and family
Long since gone from the halls of his school
Would stop by and reminisce, and thank him
For bearing with the brashness of youth
While they learned, unknowing.


He walked, slowly, hesitantly,
Hunched over with the weight of age.
But I see him now, in the vision of the mind's eye
Erect, and striding rapidly toward me
And stooping, my grandpa picks me up, smiling.






No comments: