For the ribeye prize* name the location.
For the chuck roast prize** name make and year of truck.
For the T-bone prize*** name location of this corral.
For the brisket prize**** name location of this feed lot.
For the filet mignon prize***** name the gentleman in the picture.
For the ground beef prize****** name the predominat breed of cattle in this picture.
For the porterhouse prize******* what is this contraption?
For the veal prize******** what's Grandpa doing?
For the sirloin prize********* name the location of this corral.
For the flank prize********** describe what the cowboys are doing.
That's it. You can see why I'm excited about this Photo Quiz. Ten prizes! Wouldn't it be cool if the prizes really were cuts of beef? Maybe I'll just send pictures of cuts of beef. Nah, see below for the menu*********** of prizes.
MENU OF PRIZES
served ala carte according to worthiness of response
*Ribeye.......................................50 Euro cent coin
**Chuck Roast............................Old Plaster Spatula
(great prize!)
***T-Bone.................................Tooth-shaped Box
****Brisket.......................................Five Cheap Plastic Yo-Yos
*****Filet Mignon......................Clear Acrylic Block with Laser-engraved Molar
(really great prize!)
******Ground Beef...........Used (but clean) Dental Instrument
(PFI 4)
*******Porterhouse....................Healthco Playing Cards
(a collector's item, for sure)
********Veal.................Post-It Notepad from Doral Refining Corp.
*********Sirloin..................10 Euro cent coin
**********Flank.....................................Box of Copper Bands
(Moyco Seamless, 36 Gauge, Hard, Size 14)
***********A Menu of Prizes! How cool is this?
No prize associated with this picture. I think it speaks for itself.
QUIZ RESULTS................................!
OK, here we go.
The first picture is of Gooseberry and Sharon was first with the answer. You may remember this is where grandpa lost his fight with the calf but gained a faith-promoting experience.
The truck is a 1969 GMC. Nobody got this one all right.
Second picture is of the corral in St. George and again, advantage Sharon.
Third picture is the Church farm in Warner Valley, SE of St. George and this goes to Gilbert. Good eye, good eye.
The gentleman in question on the third picture is grandpa. Look at the posture and the hat. And no, I didn't have to take Mom's word on this one.
Fourth picture: Herefords. Again, Sharon. (To be first and right, is better than to be later and maybe more specific, Rachel.) I didn't ask for the location because I wasn't quite sure but I'm pretty sure that Gilbert is in the ballpark.
The fifth picture is indeed of a squeeze chute (go Sharon!) and granpa is indeed doing something with a long, scary needle (See, dentists aren't the only ones.) and here again I have to give it to Sharon.
Sixth picture is of Pipe, the corral to the northease and yes, they are branding.
Sharon cleaned up on this one followed distantly by Gilbert.
7 comments:
Hey, I'm the first to reply. Won't be all the right answers but here goes.
1. Gooseberry, GMC or Chevy, 1965
2. Grandpa's corral in St. George. now covered by I-15
3. By Cedar City
4. Herefords
5. Squeeze chute or cattle crush. and grandpa is giving antibotics.
6. Branding out at Pipe Springs and I think it is on the north east side of the Fort.
Oh, by the way, the last photo is of Grandpa's boots in front of the house in St. George.
Pause for a rush of nostalgia. (PAUSE) 2nd picture is of Grandpa's corrals, the last is Pipe Springs corral east of the fort and they are branding the cattle. The rest of them I would just go along with Sharon, I never did pay attention to locations...I wish I would have now. --Elizabeth
1. Location - I will go with gooseberry too
2. GMC - 1968, 3/4 Ton 4X4, 350 Engine
3. St. George
4. Garrett says "Between Pipe and Colorado City"
5. Uncle Verdon
6. Polled Herfords, Angus Mix, and Charolais Mix
7. Squeeze Chute
8. Administering black leg vaccination
9. Pipe
10. Branding, castrating, and ear marking, possibly vaccinating
I have the wisdom and experience of a real cowboy helping me! Believe me! I am right! Whoohoo!
Ok, so Sharon has I feel gotten most of them.
1.Yep, Gooseberry, and the truck (GMC) is now Johns'. Grandpa had those cows trained to follow that truck around even if it didn't have any hay in it. Don't know the year, but it is old.
2. Right again, Sharon. It is the end of the run from the loading chute. To the left of the pic., is the weigh scales and to the right is the big branding corral that Grandpa fit a barn and several corrals and loading chute into after I-15 went thru the rest of his place.
3. I believe that this is at the church farm in Warner Valley. The hills are to far way to be the church farm by Grandpa Schmutz' farm in the Washington Fields.
4. Again, Sharon is right on. Herefords.
5. Ditto, Sharon. In the back ground you can see the roof of the old barn, which was bigger that the one that is there now. And I remember Grandpa's horse, Cricket begining there every time I went there and always thought that he was the best looking horse around.
Oh, this is at the west side of the branding corral where Grandpa put his barn and corrals in after the freeway went in. If I remember right he even sold another peice of his corrals to a Buster Esplin, so he could have a place for his horses.
6. Again Sharon has got it. I believe that the building was called the bunk house. Or it was when us kids were growing up.
Dang, I forgot to name the gentleman in the 3rd. pic...
Since I couldn't blow it up, I am going to say that it is Grandpa Heaton. Rach, I don't think Uncle Verdon had to much interest in cows when this picture was taken. Though I could be wrong. Esp. if you called Mom.
As for the 4th pic. I think it would be more in Pipe Valley and south of the highway. Maybe somewhere like Sunshine. And if I remember Grandpa had horned Herford bulls than polled. In the last days he had Charolais bulls.
Oh, and just thought. It almost looks like Uncle Tony's truck in the picture.(the yellow one.) You can just see Grandpa's old blue on the right. And even though I can't blow up the picture I wonder if the cowboy in the blue shirt is Uncle Tony on the buckskin that Grandpa use to have.
Forgot to I.D. the person in 3rd photo.That's Grandpa in the stock yards. I bet that is the hat that mom has.
Post a Comment