Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Our Cup Runneth Over (With Armenian Cukes!)


It's been almost twenty years since we were serious about a garden. Peggy and Andy were the catalyst for this year's endeavour* and the picture above shows some of the results so far. Actually, we last picked the cucumbers** just a couple of days ago and this is the harvest since then. We're running out of people to give them to. It's almost as bad as zucchini!***.


As you can see, we planted too many plants too close together. There are some peppers in there but they've almost been swallowed by the cukes. The tomatoes are still green, but if they come on we'll have tons of those too.

*Endeavour, as opposed to endeavor, makes it sound like a more worthwhile and noble undertaking.
**These are Armenian cucumbers, which were hitherto unknown to me.
***Bad in the sense that these plants are going gangbusters. In the taste and utility department there is no contest. Zucchini has no taste and no redeeming qualities to recommend it while the Armenian cuke is a burpless, sweeter cuke (actually more a melon eaten like a cucumber) than regular cucumbers.

1 comment:

Gilbert said...

Wow, John, I planted Armenian cucumbers too. OK, just one in a pot, but I only got two off from it. I even tried blossom set for tomatoes, and nothing!

I like them, but Bertie Sue wasn't to sure.

Any way, your garden looks good.