Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Not A Photo Quiz #4 (Or, With the Varsity Scouts at Whitmore)


Sorry for the quality of this picture. I ran across this the other day and it reminded me of Not A Photo Quiz #3 (see here). This photo is from an even earlier group of boys and comes from a trip we took one summer out on the Strip. We spent the first night on Mt. Logan (where we invented and played Mt. Logan Oilcan Baseball).
The next day we went to Whitmore and hiked down to the river and back. In the afternoon, Uncle Tony let us ride the horses and the boys had a great time. I still remember that John Potter renamed his mount Nicotine, but I can't remember why. That night the boys got to sleep in the wagons which they thought was a great treat.
Anyway, these guys are a little harder to identify, but give it a go if you want.

7 comments:

Andy and Andrea said...

Do you have any idea what year this is? And who is the guy on the left with the dark hair??

The guy in the hat in the back (Dr. Suess phraseology) reminds me of one of the first river guides I worked with in 1985.

John and Peggy said...

Andy, I'm guessing 86-87. And it's just a wild guess at that. I'd have to dig out my journals and I'm not sure I even wrote about it altho I probably did. It was a pretty good trip.

The guy with dark hair on the left didn't realize how good he had it at the time! The other guy in the back is Roger Holland.

James Holland said...

That's me, James Holland, sitting on the ground with the huge red and white foam hat and t-shirt on. My dad, Roger, is standing behind me. That was a great trip. One of those trips you remember from scouting for your whole life. I still remember how hot the hike down was and how cold the river was. Thanks for the great photo!

John and Peggy said...

Hey James, can you pick out any of the others?

John and Peggy said...

OK, James gives the date as July 11, 1985 and identified one of the other boys as Justin Knowles. I know John Potter went and I'm thinking Danny Bartlett and Cary Jones did also. I'm still trying to think who the sixth boy was.

James Holland said...

Okay, a correction and here's what Nicole and I think. That's not me sitting in front of my dad, that's Kim Jones. I'm the half naked, goofy looking kid standing on the right side of the photo. I believe John Ford is sitting behind me with the K hat on. Other possible attendees would be Brandon Heaton, John Potter, Trevor Aland. Those were all boys in our group about that time.

The Holland Family said...

I think the skinny scrawny boy to the right is kinda cute... I even remember him when he looked that way. Fun times.