There's a story to follow in a couple of days.
This is Jorge Chavez International Airport as it looked in the early 70's. It is the main aereonautical entryway to Peru and is located in Callao, right next door to Lima. The story concerns the large control tower rising from the terminal. One night the mission president asked another Elder and I to take a sister missionary to the airport for a flight home. She was having some medical issues and it was decided to send her home for treatment since she was only a few weeks away from completing her mission.
After arriving at the airport and seeing her safely aboard her flight, we decided to hang around until the plane took off, just to make sure she was on her way. While we were waiting my companion got the bright idea to visit the control tower. We found the elevator and talked our way into going all the way to the top and the control room, where the air traffic controllers showed us around. I'd like to see that happen in this day and age of heightened security!

2 comments:
Peru I think most definitely. Maybe the Lima airport, though have no idea on that one. On the ground the plane on the right is a Boeing 707, or maybe a DC-8, though 707's were far more common. Interestingly enough, I flew home from my mission on a 707 that had been brought out of retirement because of an accident that grounded the DC-10 fleet at that time. On the far left it looks like two DC-7's. (that is the same type of aircraft that collided with a Lockheed Constellation, over the Grand Canyon in 1956).
I also meant to say, the 2 aircraft facing away from the camera appear to be DC-9's. I first thought 727 but I can't make out a third engine. The high wing plane I just don't know.
I know John flew on a DC-3 (at least that sticks in my mind) but I don't see one on the ground, and is not in one on the flight the pic is taken from.
OK, a lot more information than was asked for, but I couldn't resist.
Post a Comment